We made this ravioli with our friend Chloe for a dinner party and she added zucchini and lemon zest to the filling which resulted in a super light and delicious bite. Try this recipe next time you want to make something extra special.
- 2 jars of Cherry Tomato Sauce
- 3 3/4 cups of "00" pasta flour
- 6 eggs
- 1lb fresh ricotta
- 1/3 cup grated quality parmesan
- 2 zucchini, finely grated and squeezed out
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Zest of one lemon
- Black pepper/Maldon sea salt
- 1 egg
- Put flour in a mound on a table, like a little volcano. Then create a large well in the center and add the eggs inside.
- Beat the eggs with a fork. When the eggs are emulsified, start to incorporate the flour with the tips of a fork, little by little.
- When you can’t mix the dough anymore with the fork, start to use your hands to knead the dough.
- Fold it until it’s smooth and uniform (8-10 min). Make sure the dough doesn’t get sticky in your hand. If this happens, the dough needs more flour or it will be too dry and break. If it breaks, add water. You'll know the dough is done when you put your finger into it and it comes out clean. If it's too sticky it needs more flour.
- Cover with a wet towel or with plastic wrap and let it sit until you're ready to roll it
- Using a kitchen aid pasta maker, put the setting on the biggest opening (1).
- Cut your mound of dough into 8 pieces. Take the first ball of dough and create a small disk, using flour to ensure it isn't stick on either sides. Fold the dough inwards into thirds and run the dough through the first setting 3 times. Tighten the mill and run the dough through the second setting, and then the third. Until you can see through the dough (setting 4 or 5), ensuring there are no holes in the dough.
- Grate the zucchini and with cheesecloth or a paper towel, ring out all the excess liquid until dry.
- Combine cheese, garlic, zest, salt and pepper with zucchini in a bowl
- Place a small amount of filling inside each ravioli and cut with a ravioli cutter in to the correct shape.
- Place on a tray and toss with semolina flour to prevent sticking.
- Keep in the fridge until just before you are ready to boil it
- Boil 60-90 seconds, drain.
- Toss in warmed Cherry Tomato sauce and enjoy topped with a little extra freshly grated Parmesan and fresh basil.