Lentils are one of my favorite legumes, so rich in fiber, satisfyingly toothy and they keep for a few days in the refrigerator, becoming such an easy way to create a meal. I love serving them hot with a poached egg or room temperature with a few slices of spicy Spanish chorizo and always over rice. Adding the Roasted Tomato Onion Hogao gives the recipe structure and flavor by using just one product.
50 minutes, 4 servings
- 3/4 cup of Chef Mariana Valesquez's Roasted Tomato Onion Salsa (Hogao)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.5 cups beluga lentils
- 4 cups water
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and diced small
- 1 large zucchini, diced small
- 1/2 cup labneh or greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high.
- Stir lentils into the oil using a wooden spoon.
- Add Roasted Tomato Onion Salsa and continue cooking until fragrant—1 to 2 minutes.
- Add water, cover and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and zucchini and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender and the lentils are al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- When ready to serve, divide into bowls over white rice, dollop with labneh and sprinkle with parsley and chives.